Tuesday 2 June 2009

On Mist and Midges

 

On Sunday evening the mist rolled in from the sea.


First thing Monday morning I was reminded why the Western Isles have so much wind - it is to blow the Highland Midges out to sea. The day began calm and misty - and midgy. Ouch! Last year I was inspired to go into great detail about the pesky little blighters and yet that was a year that was less midgy than most and I left before the full season started up. Wind or midges? When the midges are out I'd prefer the wind. When it's windy I'd prefer the midges. Fickle, that's me.


Once the mist or harr cleared we had a glorious sunny day.


But a bank of mist stayed out on the horizon, hiding the mainland, for the whole day and rolled back in to land again as the evening began.


This is a Silver Y moth. Unlike most moths the Silver Y flies during the day. It is hard to photograph because it is very active and constantly flutters its wings whilst feeding.


It is so-called for its very obvious silvery white y-shaped marking on its forewings. Apart from the abundant Green-veined White buterflies and Garden Tiger caterpillars these are the only large Lepidoptera I have seen on the Island since my arrival this time.


Judging by its behaviour this was another Silver Y but it was a pale buff colour and from what I could see it was either some sort of aberration without a silver Y on its wings or it was very worn. Silver Y's are migrants and can travel hundreds of miles so the latter is quite possible but this specimen did not seem at all ragged. Strange.....

1 comment:

  1. pesky little buggars were biting last night, forced us both in from the garden. Oh joy

    ReplyDelete

Welcome - comments are nearly always appreciated (the exception being those that simply advertise which don't make it past my moderation so please, don't bother).